The Pet Adoption Process
- When you arrive at our shelters, look for the interactive Find-a-Friend stations in the lobbies. You’ll get information that will help you find the perfect pet for your lifestyle.
- Walk through the kennels and write down the kennel numbers of the pets you want to meet.
- At the adoption desks in the lobbies, you can find out more about the pets you’ve selected.
- Sign in, and when your name is called, you will meet with an adoption counselor to discuss your choices. Also, feel free to ask for recommendations. We work with our animals every day and may know the perfect one for you.
- Once you have picked the lucky pet that will be your lifelong pal, you two may go home together right away, provided the animal is already spayed or neutered. Otherwise, we’ll do the surgery and you can pick up your pet the following day.
Finding and adopting the perfect pet is an exciting and rewarding experience. Our adoption counselors make every effort to offer you a smooth adoption process, and to ensure you find the perfect match. The process may take an hour or longer to select animals, view and visit with them, and choose the one that's right for you! To cut down on the time it takes to adopt, visit the shelter during the week or right when we open if possible.
For your convenience, you can also schedule an appointment with an adoption counselor who will help you find your next furry friend. Appointments are available at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday. To make an appointment, call our Customer Service team at (303) 751-5772.
We recommend you bring your children to visit with the pets you are interested in. You may also bring your family dog if you are looking for a new dog. We do not recommend cat-dog visits or cat-cat visits.
While you are at our shelters, please visit our Sit…Stay…Shops. Our prices are competitive with other pet supply stores, and our animal care experts can help you choose food, toys and other supplies for your new pet. All proceeds benefit the animals in our care.
We receive many animals each day, so if we don't have what you are looking for when you visit, please come back another day.
What to bring with you
In order to adopt your new pet, you will need to present a valid photo ID with your current address. If your ID does not have your current address, please also bring along another type of proof—a utility bill, water bill, auto registration, etc.
If you rent rather than own your home, please bring information that will enable us to contact your landlord. He or she will need to approve the adoption.
May I adopt a pet as a gift for someone?
Since it’s important for people to choose their own pets that fit their preferences, we do not adopt pets as gifts. However, we do have gift cards available at both of our shelters. You can purchase a gift card for any amount. Gift cards can be redeemed for adoption fees, supplies from our Sit…Stay…Shops, classes and other League services.