Before you decide to give up your pet, please review our alternatives to surrendering your pet.
If, despite your best efforts, it is necessary to give up your pet, we are here to help. The Dumb Friends League shelters in Denver and Castle Rock accept all pets, with the exception of livestock, reptiles, wild animals or other exotic pets. For information on where to take these animals, please call us at (303) 751-5772.
Our goal is to find a happy home for every healthy and treatable pet in our care. We achieve this by knowing more about the pets that come into our shelters. For this reason, we recommend that you make an appointment to surrender your pet so that we may learn as much as possible about it.
Call (303) 751-5772 to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet to the Dumb Friends League.
- Print out and complete the required Pet Surrender Questionnaire before you come to the shelter.
- Bring the form and a copy of your pet’s vaccination and veterinary records with you to your appointment.
- Also, be prepared to discuss your pet’s daily habits and behaviors.
- When you arrive at the shelter, enter through the doors marked Pet Intake.
- Be sure that dogs are on leashes and cats or other small animals are in carriers.
- Your appointment will take approximately 30-45 minutes and will include a health exam and behavior evaluation of your pet.
- After we have gathered information about your pet and the exam and evaluation are complete, we will discuss your options with you so you can make the best decision for your pet.
- Although we can’t guarantee placement for any pet, we are proud to save more than 16,000 lives every year.
- Please note that we will ask for a donation to help cover the cost of your pet’s care during its stay with us. A donation of $30 or more would be much appreciated, and will go towards caring for your pet and others in the shelter.
- If your animal has bitten or broken skin in the last 10 days, please contact your local animal control agency.