Benefiting the animals & our community
Pet Adoption Process – How to adopt
In Adoptions, we help patrons find the perfect companion by listening with compassion to their preferences and desires, and offering guidance in choosing an appropriate pet.
Find your perfect pet
- Search – View adoptable pets online
- Stop by – Visit one of our facilities or pet adoption partner locations
- Call – 303.751.5772 Make an appointment with one of our Customer Care team.
- Get in line – to meet with a pet at the Buddy Center.
What you’ll need to bring
- The adopter – When adopting a pet from one of our shelters, you need to be the pet’s new owner. It is important for people to choose a pet that fits their own lifestyle and preferences, so we do not adopt out pets as gifts. If you want to initiate an adoption for someone else, consider giving them a gift card to the Sit … Stay … Shops at our shelters.
- ID – We’ll need a valid photo ID with your current address. If your ID does not have your current address, please also bring another type of proof, such a utility bill, water bill or vehicle registration.
- Family members – It’s important that the pet you’re adopting fits in with your family, so if you have kids, bring them! If you’re looking to add another dog, bring your family dog. Cats take longer to adjust to new family members, so we don’t recommend cat-dog or cat-cat visits.
Fees & Specials
Adoption fees – Our adoption fees don’t come close to covering all the costs of caring for the thousands of homeless pets that come to us each year. Generous donations make up the difference and allow us to continue providing vital services and second chances. Thank you for your support.
The following adoption specials are ongoing:
- Double the Love – Adopt two adult cats for the price of one
- Current Military & Veterans – 50% off one adoption fee
- Senior Citizens (65 & older) – 50% off one adoption fee
Solutions – Transfer Partner program
The Dumb Friends League partners with shelters and rescues to place homeless pets where they have the best chance for adoption. We transfer in pets from partners in Oklahoma and Texas that have limited resources and more dogs than adopters.
As part of our overall holistic transfer approach, we recognize the need to support local programs at the source organization and community-level. A portion of the adoption fee for dogs that come from these organizations is given back to help fund spay/neuter and educational programs in their communities.
- 5 months and under $300
- 6 months to 1 year $225
- 1 year to 5 years $175
This icon identifies the dogs that are part of the Solutions – Transfer Partner program.
Kittens and Cats
- 5 months and under $120
- 6 months to 1 year $95
- 1 year to 5 years $75
- 5 years and older $50
Puppies and Dogs
- 5 months and under $250
- 6 months to 1 year $175
- 1 year and older $125
- 5 years and older $50
- Ferrets: $55
- Rabbits $35
- Guinea pigs $15
- Small pets start at $5
Pet supplies – Visit our Sit … Stay … Shops for a selection of permanent collars, ID tags, leashes, carriers, toys, bedding, Hill’s Science Diet pet food and other supplies for your new or current pets.
What you’ll receive
Most importantly, you’ll get a lifetime of love from your new pet. In addition, you’ll receive the following as part of your adoption fee:
- A pet that has been well-cared for by trained staff and volunteers at our shelter
- New Pet Adoption Packet
- Spay or neuter surgery (all pets are spayed or neutered prior to adoption)
- General health examination
- Preliminary vaccinations, including rabies. Please discuss an appropriate vaccination schedule during your free office visit to a participating veterinarian.
- Microchip identification implant
- Temporary collar and ID tag
- Temporary leash or carrier
- A complimentary wellness exam at a participating veterinary practice as part of the Connect for Care program. This exam must be scheduled and completed within 14 working days of adoption.