Benefiting the animals & our community
Pet Adoption Process – How to adopt
In Adoptions, we help patrons find the perfect companion by listening with compassion to their preferences and desires, and offering guidance in choosing an appropriate pet.
Find your perfect pet
- Search – View adoptable pets online
- Stop by – Visit one of our facilities or pet adoption partner locations
- Call – 303.751.5772 Make an appointment with one of our Customer Care team.
What you’ll need to bring
- The adopter – When adopting a pet from one of our shelters, you need to be the pet’s new owner. It is important for people to choose a pet that fits their own lifestyle and preferences, so we do not adopt out pets as gifts. If you want to initiate an adoption for someone else, consider giving them a gift card to the Sit … Stay … Shops at our shelters.
- ID – We’ll need a valid photo ID with your current address. If your ID does not have your current address, please also bring another type of proof, such a utility bill, water bill or vehicle registration.
- Family members – It’s important that the pet you’re adopting fits in with your family, so if you have kids, bring them! If you’re looking to add another dog, bring your family dog. Cats take longer to adjust to new family members, so we don’t recommend cat-dog or cat-cat visits.
Fees & Specials
Adoption fees – Our adoption fees don’t come close to covering all the costs of caring for the thousands of homeless pets that come to us each year. Generous donations make up the difference and allow us to continue providing vital services and second chances. Thank you for your support.
The following adoption specials are ongoing:
- Double the Love – Adopt two adult cats for the price of one
- Current Military & Veterans – 50% off one adoption fee (one-time discount)
- Senior Citizens (65 & older) – 50% off one adoption fee (one-time discount)
Kittens and Cats
- 5 months and under $120
- 6 months to 1 year $95
- 1 year to 5 years $75
- 5 years and older $50
Puppies and Dogs
- 5 months and under $250
- 6 months to 1 year $175
- 1 year and older $125
- 5 years and older $50
- Ferrets: $55
- Rabbits $35
- Guinea pigs $15
- Small pets start at $5
Pet supplies – Visit our Sit … Stay … Shops for a selection of permanent collars, ID tags, leashes, carriers, toys, bedding, Hill’s Science Diet pet food and other supplies for your new or current pets.
What you’ll receive
Most importantly, you’ll get a lifetime of love from your new pet. In addition, you’ll receive the following as part of your adoption fee:
- A pet that has been well-cared for by trained staff and volunteers at our shelter
- New Pet Adoption Packet
- Spay or neuter surgery (all pets are spayed or neutered prior to adoption)
- General health examination
- Preliminary vaccinations, including rabies. Please discuss an appropriate vaccination schedule during your free office visit to a participating veterinarian.
- Microchip identification implant
- Temporary collar and ID tag
- Temporary leash or carrier
- A complimentary wellness exam at a participating veterinary practice as part of the Return for Care program. This exam must be scheduled within 5 working days of adoption.