Updates & uplifting tales
Fun, furry facts
Here are a few fun facts about what it takes to care for more than 22,000 cats, dogs, small mammals and horses each year at the Dumb Friends League.
- The Dumb Friends League welcomes an average of 60 homeless pets a day, 358 days a year—we turn none away regardless of age, condition or temperament.
- In the past year, we have received a hedgehog, a macaw, a caiman (small crocodile), tortoises, frogs, a tarantula, a scorpion and hermit crabs. (Because we do not care for or adopt out exotic pets, we transfer these animals to appropriate rescue groups.)
- Veterinarians at the Dumb Friends League removed approximately 9,000 teeth from the homeless pets at our shelters in 2016, helping to relieve pain associated with dental disease and make eating more comfortable.
- The formerly abused and neglected horses and other equines at our Dumb Friends League Harmony Equine Center eat approximately 150 tons of hay and drink about 109,000 gallons of water each year.
- Our maintenance team changed 892 air filters at our two shelters, maintained 48 acres of lawn and raised and lowered the American flag 608 times last year.
- The Dumb Friends League uses approximately 195,000 pounds of cat litter each year.
- More than 10,000 dog-poop bags were used last year at the Dumb Friends League.
- Our Call Center team took more than 84,000 calls last year and provided responses in six languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Italian and Russian.
- The Dumb Friends League Harmony Equine Center has provided care for 831 formerly abused and neglected horses and other equines since it opened in 2012.
- Collectively, volunteers walk or run the dogs at the Dumb Friends League more than 260 miles per week.
- The pets at our shelters eat more than 79,000 pounds of pet food each year, all of which is generously donated by Hill’s Pet Nutrition.