Furry Scurry Day-Of Info
Can you feel the excitement? The 30th annual Furry Scurry is right around the corner, and we can’t wait to raise the woof with you and your friends – human and canine – to support animals in need.
Here’s everything you need to know for the big day
- The Furry Scurry will take place on Saturday, May 6 in beautiful Washington Park. A useful GPS address for the park is 1100 S. Franklin St. | Denver, CO 80210.
- Beat the Saturday rush by fetching your T-shirt, bib, and canine cooling bandana (or “packet”), plus any earned fundraising incentives, at our drive-thru Furry Scurry Expo on Friday, May 5 from 1:00 – 6:00 p.m. Come to the Leslie A. Malone Center shelter at 2080 S. Quebec Street and follow the signs to our east parking lot. You may also pick up packets for your registered friends and family.
- Before bringing your pup along for the fun, carefully consider their limits, behavior, health needs, and abilities. If you believe your dog is right for the event, make sure to pack a supply of water, treats, and poop bags, and give your furry friend breaks when needed.
- The Furry Scurry will take place rain or shine! Please dress accordingly and prepare your pet for the Colorado elements.
- View the event day map to see where all the action will be on May 6, including parking, registration, restrooms, and where to line up. The closest cross streets to the starting line are Franklin and Mississippi.
- Event parking will be available at All-City Stadium, Denver South High School, Steele Elementary School, and on streets around the perimeter of Washington Park. Be sure to read parking signage carefully as some streets require a neighborhood permit, and leave plenty of time to ensure you make it to the starting line before 9:00 a.m.
- Onsite registration and packet pickup begins at 7:30 a.m. Although we will accept cash donations, registrations and event merchandise can only be purchased through credit card transactions. We also encourage and appreciate donating online if you are able.
- Be sure to wear your bib throughout the event. This is your ticket to scurry and helps us identify you in case of an emergency.
- To keep all participants safe, please keep your pet leashed at all times using a six-foot, non-retractable leash.
- For this year’s event, runners with dogs will line up at the front, followed by single runners. Walkers with dogs come next, with single walkers in the back. This will help everyone scurry safely and happily at their own pace.
- The Furry Scurry offers a two-mile walk/run option, as well as a shorter route near the halfway point. There will also be one aid station for people and dogs along the course. (See the event day map.)
- Minimize the risk of bicycle collisions by staying in the pedestrian lane during the walk/run.
- Anxious or reactive dogs may utilize our “decompression zone” near the east side of the starting line. Head that way if you feel your dog needs a break from the activity. To learn about common signs of canine stress, click here.
- Help us stay green by filling your own water bottles and dog bowls at designated water stations or at the Denver Water trailer. (See the event day map.)
- Once you have crossed the finish line, keep moving forward so the area doesn’t become congested. Shop at our Flealess Market, visit a food truck or two, and enjoy all the festivities. (See our event schedule for more details.)
Full event day schedule and contests
- 7:30 a.m. – Packet pickup and onsite registration. (If you already have your packet, you can head straight to the starting line!)
- 8:40 a.m. – Starting lineup begins.
- 9:00 a.m. – The Furry Scurry officially kicks off!
- 9:30 a.m. – Fundraising incentive item pickup opens. (Incentive item pickup is not available before the Furry Scurry begins.)
- 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. – Watch dog demos from Paw School Agility and Colorado Disc Dog.
- 10:30 a.m. – Best Trick, Pet Look-Alike, and Biggest/Smallest Scurrier Contests will take place in the demonstration arena near the starting line. Awards will be announced immediately following each contest.
See you on Saturday, May 6!