Benefiting the animals & our community
Pet Adoption Process – How to adopt
HOW DO I ADOPT A PET?
You’ve browsed our adoptable pets and think you have found the right one, so what’s next? Here’s what you need to know about adopting a pet from the Dumb Friends League!
GET IN LINE to visit with an adoptable pet. Click here to get in line to meet an adoptable dog, puppy, cat, kitten or small pet. The queue to get in line opens at 10 a.m. daily and closes when our capacity to help adopters has been reached. Make sure to check our availability before leaving your home.
HEAD OVER to the Leslie A. Malone Center in Denver. We are currently offering in-person adoptions at this location only.
BRING the adopter, a valid ID and family members needed to finalize the adoption. If your ID does not match your current address, please bring another proof of residence such as a utility bill or vehicle registration.
WAIT in your car until you are alerted that it is your turn to enter the shelter.
WHEN YOU COME INSIDE you must wear a mask, have your temperature taken and sanitize your hands.
BROWSE adoptable pets in the shelter and make note of who you’d like to meet. Follow the one-way signs and direction from staff and volunteers.
MEET the pet you’d like to join your family!
FINALIZE the adoption. Fill out the paperwork, pay your adoption fee (hyperlink to how much does it cost section below) and get your adoption packet (link to what do I get section below).
TAKE HOME YOUR NEW FURRY FAMILY MEMBER! All adoptions will be finalized on the same day as your visit.
We recognize that some people are in a high-risk category and are unable to safely leave their homes or enter other facilities. To discuss alternative dog adoptions options, call 303.751.5772. For cats, kittens and other pets, simply click the “Submit Inquiry” button on the bio of the pet you are interested in adopting.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO ADOPT A PET?
Cats and Kittens:
· 5 months and under $120
· 6 months to 1 year $95
· 1 year to 5 years $75
· 5 years and older $50
Dogs and Puppies:
· 5 months and under $250 to $300
· 6 months to 1 year $175 to $225
· 1 year to 5 years $125 to $175
· 5 years and older $50
· Small pets start at $5
· Guinea pigs $15
· Rabbits $35
· Ferrets: $55
We offer these adoption discounts every day:
· BYOC – Bring your own carrier when you adopt a cat and receive $5 off your adoption fee
· Double the Love – Adopt two adult cats for the price of one!
· Current Military & Veterans – 50% off adoption fees (Discount courtesy of Lockheed Martin)
· Senior Citizens (65 & older) – 50% off adoption fees
WHY ARE ADOPTION FEES HIGHER FOR SOME DOGS?
The Dumb Friends League Solutions – Transfer Program partners with shelters and rescues to place homeless pets where they have the best chance for adoption. We transfer in pets from partners that have limited resources and more dogs than adopters.
When you adopt a dog from our Solutions – Transfer Program, a portion of the adoption fee is given back to help fund spay/neuter and educational programs in their communities to reduce pet homelessness and overpopulation.
This icon identifies the dogs that are part of the Solutions – Transfer Partner program.
WHAT DO I GET WHEN I ADOPT A PET?
In addition to a lifetime of love and companionship, you’ll get:
· An animal that has received a general health examination and has been well-cared for by our staff and volunteers
· A pet that won’t contribute to pet overpopulation—all pets are spayed or neutered prior to adoption
· Microchip ID implanted and registered to the adopter
· Temporary collar and ID tag
· Temporary leash or carrier (Cat adopters: bring your own carrier and get $5 off your adoption fee!)
· Resources to help set you and your new pet up for success in your home · A complimentary wellness exam at a participating veterinary practice as part of the Connect for Care program. This exam must be scheduled and completed within 14 working days of adoption.
· Preliminary vaccinations, including rabies. Please discuss an appropriate vaccination schedule during your complimentary wellness visit.
· Did we mention a lifetime of love and companionship?