At the shelter:
Join our queue when you’re ready to adopt or have identified a pet you want to meet (follow the signage to join). You’ll be added to the line, on a first come first served basis, to visit with a counselor and meet your new best friend.
In order to best serve you, please join the queue at least one-hour prior to closing to visit with a counselor. Our queue may be closed at other times if we have met our capacity for daily visits.
*Note: San Luis Valley Location:
We are offering same day in-person adoptions at the San Luis Valley Animal Center. On the day you’re interested in adopting, visit our shelter between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. to visit with a counselor and meet your new best friend.
We offer limited appointments for cat, dog and small animal adoptions at the Leslie A. Malone Center only. Schedule an appointment to reserve a time to meet with an adoption counselor and pets available for adoption at the time of your appointment.
An appointment does not guarantee that you will meet a specific pet, it simply secures the time and date of your visit.
NOTE: We only book appointments on weekdays and one day from today’s date. If the calendar doesn’t show any available appointments, please check this page the next day as more appointment times become available. We do not have additional capacity beyond the appointment times listed on the calendar, so there is no need to call us.
Here is what to expect during the adoption process:
- The person adopting a pet must provide a valid ID with current address. If your ID does not match your current address, please bring another proof of residence such as a utility bill or vehicle registration.
- Browse adoptable pets in the shelter and make note of who you would like to meet. Follow signs and directions from staff and volunteers.
- Meet the pet you’d like to join your family!
- Finalize the adoption. Fill out the paperwork, pay your adoption fee and get your adoption packet.
- All adoptions will be finalized on the same day as your visit. Take home your new family member!
You can adopt our small pets from these PetSmart locations.
Please check the PetSmart.com for hours of operation.
40 S Abilene St
Aurora, CO 80012
9291 S Broadway
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
Parker and Chambers
5520 S Parker Road
Parker, CO 80134
11183 S Parker Rd
Parker, CO 80134
3720 River Point Parkway
Sheridan, CO 80110
4654 Milestone Ln
Castle Rock, Co 80104
How much does it cost to adopt a pet?
Our adoption fees don’t come close to covering the cost of caring for the thousands of homeless pets that come to us each year. Generous donations make up the difference and allow us to continue providing vital services and second chances. Click “show more” to see our current fees and specials.
Cats and Kittens: *
- 5 months and under $200
- 6 months to 1 year $150
- 1 year to 5 years $110
- 5 years and older $50
Dogs and Puppies: *
- 5 months and under $350
- 6 months to 1 year $250
- 1 year to 5 years $200
- 5 years and older $100
- Ferrets: $75
- Rabbits $45
- Guinea pigs $30
- Small pets start at $5
We offer these ongoing adoption discounts (equine excluded):
- BYOC—Bring your own carrier when you adopt a cat and receive $5 off your adoption fee
- Double the Love—Adopt two adult cats for the price of one!
- Current Military & Veterans—50% off adoption fees (Discount courtesy of Lockheed Martin)
- Seniors (65 & older)—50% off adoption fees
- Seniors for Seniors Tuesdays (65 & older)—Adoption fees waived for pets 8 years and older
- Small, but Mighty Guinea Pigs—Adopt one Guinea pig and adopt the 2nd one for free (same sex only)
*Pets transferred from our out of state partners will have $50 added to the adoption fee to support the source community.
This icon identifies the pets that are part of the Transfer Partner program.
What is included when I adopt a pet?
In addition to a lifetime of love and companionship, you’ll get:
- An animal that has received a general health examination and has been well-cared for by our staff and volunteers
- A pet that won’t contribute to pet overpopulation—all dogs, cats, and rabbits are spayed or neutered prior to adoption
- Microchip ID implanted and registered to the adopter
- Temporary collar and ID tag
- Temporary leash or carrier (Cat adopters: bring your own carrier and get $5 off your adoption fee!)
- Resources to help set you and your new pet up for success in your home
- A complimentary wellness exam at a participating veterinary practice as part of the Connect for Care program. This exam must be scheduled and completed within 14 working days of adoption.
- Preliminary vaccinations, including rabies. Please discuss an appropriate vaccination schedule during your complimentary wellness visit.
- People who adopt a cat or dog from the League now have the opportunity to protect their new friend by activating 30 days of complimentary coverage from MetLife Pet Insurance! 1
For more information and to activate a plan, League adopters can call MetLife Pet Insurance at 855-890-7387. No payment information is required to sign up, and calls can be taken in almost any language.
- Did we mention a lifetime of love and companionship?
1 Coverage issued by Metropolitan General Insurance Company (“MetGen”), a Rhode Island insurance company, headquartered at 700 Quaker Lane, Warwick, RI 02886, and Independence American Insurance Company (“IAIC”), a Delaware insurance company, headquartered at 11333 N Scottsdale Rd, Ste 160, Scottsdale, AZ 85454. Coverage subject to restrictions, exclusions and limitations and application is subject to underwriting review. See policy or contact MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions LLC (“MetLife Pet”) for complete details. MetLife Pet is the policy administrator. The entity may operate under an alternate, assumed, or fictitious name in certain jurisdictions, including MetLife Pet Insurance Services LLC (New York and Minnesota) and MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions Agency LLC (Illinois).
EQUINE ADOPTION PROCESS
Our adoption fees for equines range from $250–$2000. These fees do not cover our investment in each equine’s rehabilitation, training and veterinary care. Generous donations allow us to provide this vital care to horses in need.
Our commitment to you
Believing in full transparency, we promise to represent our animals honestly, based on what we know about their past, what we observe and what we can accomplish while they are in our care.
What we ask in return:
- You will not sell the animal for slaughter.
- You will not use the animal for breeding purposes.
- You will permit us to visit the facility where the animal will be maintained.
- Use the contact form to make an appointment with a trainer.
- Begin the adoption process. Work or ride the equine that fits your goals and skill set for three complimentary lessons. At this point the horse is considered pending adoption and will not be shown to other interested parties.
- Site inspection. A site inspection will be completed during or after the lesson phase.
- Brand inspection. A brand inspection will be completed and ownership will be transferred.
- Congratulations, you are a new horse parent! Schedule a pick-up time.