Tips for Finding Your Lost Pet

What to Do if You Find a Stray Pet

Take the pet to a shelter – If you find a stray pet, we recommend that you take it to the municipal shelter or animal control facility closest to where the animal was found. These agencies offer stray pets the best chance to be reunited with their families.

Find the location closest to you.

Fill out a found report – If you’d like to temporarily care for the pet yourself, fill out an online found report.

We accept stray pets at the Buddy Center in Castle Rock and the Leslie A. Malone Center in Denver. All pets will be accepted according to urgency, then on a first-come first-served basis.

We offer call-ahead service for stray pet admissions at the Leslie A. Malone Center only. During the call, we will begin the pet admissions process while you’re in the comfort of your own home and set up a time for you to bring the pet to the Leslie A. Malone Center. To use our call-ahead service, call 303.751.5772. Our pet admissions team is available for calls 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. seven days a week. 

Please be aware that our process may be slower than normal due to COVID restrictions.

Lost & Found Pet Admission Policies

Leslie A. Malone Center

The Dumb Friends League Leslie A. Malone Center in Denver takes in and houses lost cats, dogs and small mammals. Lost & found is located at the back of the building. Please enter through the doors marked Pet Admissions.

Buddy Center

As a partner with Douglas County government services, the Buddy Center in Castle Rock takes in and houses lost cats, dogs and small mammals for the county.