Cats are the most popular pet in the United States (and on the Internet!). Cats offer companionship, unconditional love, entertainment, affection, lots of purring, comfortable silences and they’re trainable! Cats are:
- Happy living indoors
- Neat, grooming themselves regularly
- Use a litter box without training, which is easily cleanable
- Pest hunters!
- Love to play—with you or by themselves—and they will make you laugh!
- Live happily with kids, cats and dogs
- Plus, cats make you healthier and happier. They can help lower your blood pressure, reduce the risks of heart attacks and strokes, improve your mood and help fight depression.
Fun Facts about Cats
- Cats’ ears are incredibly sensitive. They are able to detect sounds as high as 65 kilohertz, an ability that may be even greater than that of a dog and definitely a human. Plus, a cat’s ears are always alert, even when he’s sleeping.
- Impressed by cats’ incredible sense of balance? Well, they actually have an organ called the vestibular apparatus within each ear, and it works with the eye to give them that superb balancing ability.
- No potty-training needed? That’s right! Cats do not need to be litter-box trained. It is a natural habit continued from their ancestors—wild cats.
- Cleanliness is next to godliness for a cat. They spend more than one-third of their waking hours grooming.
- Cats can snooze up to 18 hours a day, typically in brief spurts. And, they do have dreams—some twitching, making noise or swishing their tails while asleep.
- A kneading cat is the epitome of contentment. The behavior develops at birth and, in most cases, continues throughout a cat’s life, particularly during times of relaxation and happiness.
- People love the sound of a cat’s purr. It originates in a cat’s brain and is caused by vibrating muscles surrounding the larynx. The purr is one of the first sounds that a newborn kitten makes.
Ready to adopt? We have many beautiful, loving cats that need homes!